Friday, September 16, 2011

Can a Homosexual Become a Heterosexual

I am a moderately active participant in the Apologetics Forum on Catholic Answers Forum. Same sex marriage, homosexuality, masturbation and birth control are all frequent topics over there. One such recent thread was called Can a Homosexual Become a Heterosexual. My friend InSearchofGrace wrote something that then inspired me. Here is her quote and then following my thoughts.


If I have not mentioned it yet in this thread, by God's grace and the individual's motivation, a homosexual can become a heterosexual. For those who are unable to re-orient their sexual attraction away from the same sex and towards the opposite sex, acting on homosexual urges may be sublimated, making for an exquisite offering to God.


Yes, exactly.

I believe that these discussions come about in large part because in the 20th and now 21st century, we came to believe that sex is some sort of inalienable right. Subconsciously it would appear that we as a society believe that if someone is denied "the right to have sex" then that person will (a) explode, (b) die, (c) suffer physical and mental illnesses, and/or (d) become a pedophile. We equate sex with love and love with sex. If someone isn't having sex, then they aren't being loved.

Read many of the posts on this topic on CAF and the sub-text is often just this message. Have you ever noticed how if someone says that they don't watch TV or says they don't a TV, you have this sort of petty "i hate them" kind of thought? Come on, you know what I'm talking about. I think it's the same thing with illicit sex. If you're having or have had or like thinking about illicit sex, then you can't stand the person who rejects illicit sex. You have to bring them down to your level, otherwise, how can you feel good about yourself?

The focus should actually be on God's commandments, God's love sustaining us, and "love others as I have loved you" meaning that the highest form of love is a pure, non-sexual love.

If someone were to ask me how I identify these days, my answer would be simply, "fully compliant with the Catholic Church" because I do not believe that anyone's focus should be on sexuality, it should be on God and being not submissive to God's will, but in full uniformity with God's will. "Thy will be done, and because it is Thy will, it is mine as well."[/QUOTE]

1 comment:

  1. I am surprised there were no comments to this beautiful post. I have just discovered your blog and I just wanted to say that I agree completely with your post and this is the first time I've heard/read anyone say this- I thought I was the only one who knew that sex is not the only way to be loved and that we will not die,explode, etc. if we do not engage in it.

    ReplyDelete